The Equipment Cage, room E204 located near the FV Office, contains all the portable production equipment available in the School of Film/Video. It is run by the Equipment Cage Supervisor, Equipment Coordinator, and student assistants. Equipment is available for student use during the academic year, including winter and spring breaks.
The Equipment Cage hours are Monday through Friday, 8:45 am to 5:00 pm, with a lunch closure from 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm. On Wednesdays, the Cage has an extended lunch closure from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm. The hours are posted on the outside of the Equipment Cage and are subject to change. All equipment is due no later than 12:00 pm (noon). Check-outs typically happen after 2:00 pm and must be completed by 4:30 pm. If you do not pick up your equipment by 4:30 pm, your reservation will be released.
All reservations must be presented to the Equipment Cage in person and are handled on a first come, first served basis. The Equipment Cage will not accept reservations by phone or email. Reservations can be made no more than four weeks in advance. Most equipment can be reserved and checked out for a maximum of three days. Longer reservations need approval from the Equipment Cage Supervisor.
Every time you check out equipment from the Equipment Cage you will sign an invoice with your equipment listed. It is your responsibility to make sure that you are signing the correct invoice. You must check that the invoice is in your name, that the dates are correct, and that the condition of your equipment is in proper working order before you accept responsibility by signing this invoice. If you find something wrong with the equipment before signing the invoice, you must let Equipment Cage staff know and you will not be held responsible. If you do not check the equipment before signing and something is wrong with it, you will be held responsible once you sign and leave the Equipment Cage, even if you did not cause the problem. Never assume that you have been given gear in perfect condition. Always scrutinize everything before leaving.
You must return equipment to the Equipment Cage during open hours and be sure that you deliver it directly to an Equipment Cage employee. If the employees are busy with other people, you must wait your turn to speak with someone. You cannot assume the employees saw you. All equipment is due back before 12:00 pm (noon) on the date specified on the check-out form.
Please do not come exactly at 12:00 pm (noon) to return your equipment (yes, equipment returned at 12:05 pm is considered late).
If you have a large package to pick up, make an appointment time for pick up and return. Be sure you arrive early enough to give yourself and the Equipment Cage personnel time to assist you with your equipment.
Any extension of time to equipment already checked out must be approved by the Equipment Cage Supervisor or Equipment Coordinator prior to the time the equipment is due to be returned. If you know you will be late in returning the gear, contact the Equipment Cage immediately and let them know.
Any student who fails to return equipment by noon on the day it is due will be charged a late fee of $50, starting at 12:00 pm (noon). Each day thereafter will be an additional $50 late fee charge (i.e. two days late is a $100 fee). It is possible to lose equipment access if you incur too many fees or are negligent towards the gear.
To avoid paying a late fee of $50 per day for equipment that is not returned to the Equipment Cage, here are some suggestions:
- Return the equipment by the due date and time. The student who checked out the equipment must remain with the gear until it has been properly checked in by Equipment Cage personnel.
- When making the reservation, give yourself more days than you initially think you will need. If you are worried you will not be on campus to return by noon, add an additional day to the reservation.
- Do not plan on returning equipment on days when you have class from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm (noon), (another example where you should probably add another day to your reservation).
- If you need to pick up your reservation before 1:00 pm, make the reservation start the day before—this will ensure that the gear is available for pick up.
- If you have a large order, have people assist you in properly packing the gear and returning the equipment to the Equipment Cage.
- Gear must be returned in the condition in which you received it. Equipment that requires repackaging or cleaning can also incur a $50 fee per incident. As a part of a community of peers who rely on the Equipment Cage’s gear, please treat all items with the utmost care and respect.