Table of Contents
We have good news. Los Angeles County’s COVID cases have declined steadily in the past few weeks and CalArts has received approval to begin slowly re-opening the campus.
Reopening will be done very carefully in multiple phases over the coming months. It will be some time until the campus opens fully without COVID-19 restrictions. In the School of Film/Video, the first facility areas to open will be those for solo access, followed by spaces for small group access, such as sound stages and computer labs. Continued access will depend on COVID cases remaining low. If cases rise again, access may need to be restricted.
Coming to campus is entirely optional. No curricular activities will happen on campus this spring, and students will not be required to be on campus. (We do plan to be on campus in the fall, in a hybrid mode combining in-person and remote activities.)
Film/Video Facilities Currently Open
Please watch this video which covers the use of SmartWay2 and LiveSafe, both of which are required for on campus facilities access. Keep in mind that reservations made through SmartWay2 require approval. Allow up to one business day for approval.
Safe cleaning instructions for the edit suites and computer labs can be found here.
Solo access is now available for the following facilities:
Computer Labs (Requires reservation using SmartWay2. Don’t forget to bring your Cintiq Pen or Headphones if needed; see note below)
A109, F105, E60
Downshooters (requires reservation using SmartWay2)
Digital Editing (requires reservation using SmartWay2)
E38, E49, E51, E52, E53, E55
FVSound (requires reservation using SmartWay2)
Stop Motion (must complete the Stop Motion Space Reservation Request form)
BB4I, BB4J, E23, E25, E27, E32, E34
Note: Spring and Fall 2020 grads (G20s) need to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to SmartWay2.
Film Productions / Installations
Expanded guidelines for on and off campus film productions and installations will be available very soon, once they are finalized. Productions & installations will be required to continue to use the Student Project Application form for all productions, both on and off campus. This form must be submitted at least two weeks before the start of the requested reservation.
Guidelines for Access
CalArts will continue requiring COVID-safe practices including mandatory masks and social distancing. Your safety and the safety of faculty and staff on campus is our top priority. When coming to campus it is important to be aware of the following:
- All campus access requires a reservation. Some reservations can be made through the SmartWay2 app or website (download from Apple App Store or Google Play) and others will require staff/faculty scheduling. Only students who have a confirmed reservation may be on campus. Students should go directly to their assigned space after picking up the key from security (if needed), then return the key and leave campus when they are finished.
- Daily health checks using the LiveSafe app (download here) will be required before you can enter any facilities. Be prepared to show your “green checkmark” at the security gate and main entrance.
- Complete the COVID safety training using this link for students and this link for faculty and staff.
- Scan in and out with your CalArts ID so that we can follow the necessary procedures for contact tracing if we have a COVID case. If you don’t have an ID card you can get one at the campus safety entrance.
- Follow the directional signage in and around the building in order to help us meet physical distance and capacity requirements.
- Users are required to wipe down work surfaces before and after use with provided disinfectant wipes.
- Each space will be limited to one reservation per space, per day to allow an airing out period.
- Access is currently limited to 9AM-7PM, Monday through Friday. The last entry to campus is at 4:30PM. Closed on weekends.
- Technical support will continue to be provided remotely. Staff and faculty will not enter spaces with students.
- Students will need to provide their own headphones and Cintiq pens if needed, in order to reduce shared contact. (Sony MDR-7506 headphones or similar wired headphones with an ⅛” mini plug; Wacom Pro Pen 2 (KP504E))
- To access Film/Video computers you will need your FV username and password. Continuing students who have forgotten theirs can either submit a ticket by sending an email to email@example.com. New students will automatically receive an email from 2 Pop Support with your username and password before access begins. Note that this password is different from your CalArts SSO password.
Film/Video facilities will be available to currently enrolled, full-time Film/Video students as well as Spring and Fall 2020 grads (G20s). 2020 alumni access is for finishing thesis & graduation projects and must be requested by filling out the Facilities and Technology Access for Spring 2020 Thesis & Graduating Projects form, if you have not already done so. Spring and Fall 2020 grads (G20s) need to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to SmartWay2. Part-time and leave-of-absence students are not eligible. Film/Video facilities will not be available to students or alumni outside the School of Film/Video.