Los Angeles County Library Card E-Resources
LA County library cards are available for free to permanent and temporary residents of California. With a library card, you can:
- check out books, magazines, and DVDS
- place holds and access your account online
- access library databases from home
- download audiobooks, books, and music
- use the Library’s public computers
- connect to Wi-Fi at all LA County Library locations
This tech doc will go over how to get a Library card and use it to access Lynda.com and Kanopy.
Getting a Library Card
- To get a library card, fill out an application and bring it to any LA County Library along with a valid ID. The closest LA County Library to CalArts is the Stevenson Ranch Library, located less than a mile away, at 25950 The Old Road, Stevenson Ranch, CA 91381.
**You can find the library application online at https://lacountylibrary.org/wp-content/ uploads/2018/05/librarycardapplicationenglish.pdf and a list of library card ID requirements at https://lacountylibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/idrequirement.pdf.
- When you get your library card, you will be given a PIN number. This PIN allows you to place holds and access your account online, use the library’s public computers, and access Wi-Fi.
- Library cards are valid for 3 years and can be renewed by calling or visiting a library. Replacement cards cost $3.00.
- Lynda.com is an online learning platform that helps you learn software, technology, and creative skills. The courses are taught by industry experts. The LA County Library gives you free access to all courses.
- Go to https://www.lynda.com/portal/sip?org=lacountylibrary.org. Enter your Library Card Number and Library Card PIN. Click Log in.
- When logging in for the first time, you might need to enter your First name, Last name, and Email.
- You now can explore Lynda.com courses by clicking on the Library dropdown menu.
- Lynda.com will automatically save your progress as you move through courses so you can take courses over many sessions.
** For more online learning resources provided by the LA County Library, visit: https://lacountylibrary.org/learn/
- Kanopy is an online film streaming service. The LA Country Library allows you to play up to 10 films per month on Kanopy. The titles will expire after the 3 day (72 hour) loan period and play credits will reset on the 1st of the month.
** In addition to accessing Kanopy on a web browser, Kanopy supports Android, iOS, Apple TV, and Chromecast.
- Go to https://lacounty.kanopy.com/. Click Sign Up in the top right corner.
- You can connect using Facebook, you CalArts email address (Google), or other email addresses. Click Sign Up.
- Kanopy will send you an email. Open the email and click the Verify My Email button. This will lead you to a page on the Kanopy website. Click Add Library Card. Enter your library card info and click Save.
- You will now have 10 credits to use per month on film streaming. You can search for films and when you want to stream, click Play. Once you click Play, one of your play credits will be deducted.
** For more Movie and TV streaming resources provided by the LA County Library, visit: https://lacountylibrary.org/movies-tv/